Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The quilt that took almost 8 years to make!

 As we were cleaning our closet one day, Bob said that we should throw away all these t-shirts and sweatshirts that have seen better days.  I had the great idea that I would make a quilt out of them.  Well, it was very easy to start it and cut off all the sleeves and make nice rectangule pieces out of them and saw them together - front and back - but I just couldn't find the right material to put in between.  It took me years!  It went with me to VA (didn't have time to do much there), went with me to Benin (I actually found the stuffing on a catalog and ordered it), took it all to TX so I could sew it there... yeah, right!  I packed all up and shipped it to Belgium (where it stayed in our spare closet, still packed, for 2 1/2 years!)  So, I was not going to have anything to do in Iraq, right?  Yes! so it went with me to Iraq!  I finally placed it on my bed where I could see it every day and lo and behold, I got sick and had to stay home because I couldn't share my sickness with anyone... so in about 4 days, I finished it - FINALLY!  It sure came out gorgeous.  I shipped it immediately to Andy, didn't want to take any chances.
 We had a very good friend from Holland.  Her name is Myriam and she gave Andy this t-shirt.  We still keep in touch with her.  On the left square is a t-shirt from the Marine Detachment in Belgrade, Yugoslavia.  On the right is a sweatshirt from Richland College where I got my Associates Degree in Network Administration.
 Bob is from Iowa and we lived there for three years while he was a USMC Recruiter.  We had to show our support for the University.  I embroidered all the main events that happened to us in Iowa.
 The USMC has been a great part of our family as Bob served for 20 years.  This shows all the places where we lived in the US.  
And it all started in Ecuador.  This is where Bob and I met, where Andy was born and where we started our lives together.
 Bob wanted to enter the Marine Security Guard program again, this time as the Detachment Commander.  Our first post was Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.  We lived there for 18 months.  We loved it there, great friends, great job, great beach!
 Then we went to Tokyo, Japan.  We lived there for about 18 months again.  We loved the place, so much freedom, we could take the bus, metro, train anywhere!
 And I got older and realized that I had to work harder at keeping up in shape or as it says "magnificent"!
 We went to Belgrade, Yugoslavia... during the separation war.  We made so many great friends there, both Americans and Yugoslavs.  And my baby turned 15 years old while we were there!  We had a great big party and everyone in the Embassy was invited as well as from a couple more Embassies!  British and Canadians and of course, a lot of our local friends!
Rilski Manaster - This is in Bulgaria.  Even though we were in Yugoslavia, in war time, we were able to travel a bit (unfortunately Bob could not).  Andy and I went on this great trip to this Monastery.  All I remember is that the bed was wonderful, the blankets so nice and soft AND the wine, delicious!

No comments: